January 1, 2010

Looking Forward, Looking Back


I'm guessing that "the blogosphere" is a lot like the gym at the top of a new year: everybody pledges to be more consistent and disciplined about posting and, for a few weeks at least, they will be.  I'm not sure if 2010 will be the Year of the Blog for me or not (I've decided to try to limit my time on the internet to hours in which my sweet children are asleep) but I'm going to try and start out on the right foot by posting on day one.

January 1st is a tricky day for me.  I spend a little bit of time thinking about the previous year.  My nature is to make lists and take stock so I do some of that.  Then I think about the new year.  I make a note of the things I'm looking forward to.  Then I forget it all and I just take the year as it comes.

Here's how it goes in my head:

2009 Highlights By Category

Recorded Music Releases

Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
Norah Jones - The Fall
Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live
Dave Rawlings Machine - A Friend of a Friend
Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
The Beatles - Mono Box Set
David Mead - Almost and Always
M. Ward - Hold Time
Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid

Live Shows

M. Ward - Cannery Ballroom, Nashville
Andrew Bird - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville
U2 - Memorial Stadium, Norman OK

Movies

Coraline
Star Trek
Up
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Fantastic Mr. Fox

TV

The Office
Glee
30 Rock

Food

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Books (not necessarily released in 2009)

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck
This Wheels on Fire by Levon Helm
Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child

and then I might do:

Great Expectations for 2010 By Category

Recorded Music Releases

Vampire Weekend - Contra
Fleet Foxes - Unannounced
Midlake - The Courage of Others
Fionn Regan - Shadow of an Empire

Live Shows

Bill Frisell, Buddy Miller, Marc Ribot - Belcourt Theatre
Vampire Weekend - Ryman Auditorium

Movies

Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Oceans
MacGruber
Iron Man 2
Robin Hood
The A-Team
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

TV

LOST Final season

Food

Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Books (not necessarily released in 2010)

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Brave Companions by David McCullough

You get the picture, I'm sure.  This is pretty much how it goes for me each New Year's Day.  And just so nobody thinks my only interests are music, movies, TV, and burgers, I should also specify that I plan to earn, save, and give as much money as possible, remodel our tiny kitchen so that it is not just tiny but also very cool, and wear bow ties as often as I can this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! Great Expectations.

    Is MacGruber from SNL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with Will Forte. I probably won't actually see that one but I expect it will be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete