January 19, 2010

Hole In The Wall: Gabby's Burgers and Fries



Nashville isn't short on great burger joints.  There are local establishments like Brown's Diner, Rotiere's, The Hermitage Cafe, and the Washington D.C. based chain, Five Guys Burger and Fries, just to name a few.  I had heard about Gabby's "over by the baseball stadium" a few times from my coworkers before deciding to check it out today but I honestly assumed it was overrated.  Here is the scoop:

1.  It's not overrated.  (It's GOOD.)
2.  It's not outrageously priced (although New Jersey Chris complained anyway.)
3.  It's not easy to get to because of construction (but it's worth the trip.)

The first thing I noticed upon entering the plain gray building was the 16-star American flag on the wall.

I liked that a lot and things only got better.  Although I had been warned about "lines out the door" there were only a few people in front of us and we were at the counter in no time.  I told the cashier lady (who perfectly matched the description I had been given) that it was my first time and asked if she could recommend something.  She recommended a Bacon Swiss Burger with Sweet Potato Fries so that's what I got.  It came in at $7.05 without a drink, not too bad, considering what else $7.05 will buy for lunch.  The burgers are made to order on the grill (visible from the counter) but the wait wasn't too long.

I took mine back to the office to eat it to make up for the time it took me to find the place.  The burger was seriously good.  The fries were really tasty but I couldn't finish them.

Bottom line:  Gabby's is the real deal.  It's a great place for you and a coworker to grab something other than fast food without a restaurant feel.  Try it and let me know what you think.

Gabby's Burgers & Fries
493 Humpreys Street Nashville, TN
615.733.3118

No comments:

Post a Comment